Saturday 12 March 2016

"Kek Batik” Recipe – Yummylicious!


I still remember the first time I tasted “Kek Batik”. When I was in my Form 6, I had a Malay friend and she is very good with baking. Sometimes when we have some assignments or outing over the weekends, she would bring cakes for us to eat. And this one day, she brought this black layered cake. When I first put it in my mouth, I fell in love with it immediately! Since then, it has been my all time favourite. It is a non-bake cake and not too complicated to make. You don’t need a proper baking set to make this cake either. I can say that the success rate for first timer could be 100%. So let’s get on to it!


Preparation time: Within 1 hour 


Ingredients:
1 packet of Marie biscuits (any brand of your favourite)
3/4 cup of Milo
1/4 cup of Cocoa powder
1/2 cup of boiling water
1/2 book of butter, cut into few chunks
1/2 tine of sweetened condensed milk
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 tupperware or containe

* You could literally use a normal cup to measure, like what I used in the picture.

(Thanks to my hubs for holding the backdrop. Haha!)

Preparation:
1. Break the Marie biscuits into small pieces, set aside. Prepare the container with or without baking paper. Lightly grease the inside of the container so the baking paper would stick to the container.

 
2. Prepare a wok or saucepan. Pour in Milo and cocoa powder. Then slowly add in boiling water. Stir until smooth.




3. Place over moderate heat. One ingredient at a time, add in butter, condensed milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir until all ingredients blended well.
* MUST keep stirring all the time to avoid mixture sticking to the wok and over burning.
 
 
 


4.  Turn to low heat and continue to stir without stopping for another 20 minutes or until a think custard forms (as picture below). Then turn the heat off. 


 5. Pour in the Marie biscuits. Mix until all biscuits are coated with the custard.






 6. Transfer the mixture into the prepared container. Press down firmly so that there are no air pockets in the mixture. Then let it cool for about 5 minutes.


7. Last step, cover the container and put it into the refrigerator to chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

End product, viola!






Final Note: 
 - In some other references, you might find that some adds in sugar to the recipe. However, I find by just adding condensed milk is sweet enough. Up to own preferences.

- Make sure all the biscuits are well covered with the custard and let it sit to cool after mixing before sending it into the refrigerator. Let the custard “melt” into the biscuits a little bit, if not, it might be a bit dry. But still, it is eatable. ;)
(I came out with this theory myself. Not sure whether it is true or not. Haha!) 

Happy Trying! 


No comments:

Post a Comment